Portsmouth Music and Arts Center seeks a music educator and conductor to develop the Youth Chamber Strings (YCS) program and conduct the Teen Chamber Strings ensemble. YCS offers three levels of classical string chamber orchestra training to musicians from ages 5-18. String Explorers, for ages 5-8, prepares PMAC’s youngest string students for ensemble playing. Junior Chamber Strings, for intermediate students ages 8-13, serves as a training orchestra for Teen Chamber Strings. The Teen Chamber Strings conductor will lead PMAC students to achieve their full creative potential, while focusing on teaching repertoire from the Classical and Romantic eras, along with pedagogically appropriate literature from the 20th-21st centuries.
Reporting to the Director of Education, duties are as follows:
- Conduct weekly rehearsals of the YCS Teen Chamber Strings (ages 12-18) from 9:30-11:30am each Saturday, October through May
- Prepare the group for seasonal concerts in December and May
- Organize and attend auditions 2-3 days per year – currently in mid September and January
- Collaborate with the COO, Director of Education, and Conductors of Junior Chamber Strings and String Explorers to establish ensemble policies, audition requirements and scheduling
- Plan and select concert programming that aligns with the pedagogical goals of the Teen Chamber Strings and the YCS overall program
- Collaborate with PMAC string teaching artists to recruit students to participate in the ensembles; Build relationships with public and private school band and orchestra directors and area private studio teachers
- Explore possible outreach opportunities for YCS in Seacoast region
- Attend faculty and planning meetings several times a year
- Qualified candidates will have the option of earning additional income teaching lessons and classes at PMAC
Bachelor’s degree in music required, Master of Music preferred in orchestral conducting, music education, or violin, viola, cello or contrabass performance. 1-2 years professional conducting experience preferred, specifically with youth in a public/private educational setting. Candidates must have a working knowledge of chamber orchestra repertoire for young musicians and demonstrate effective rehearsal techniques.
The Portsmouth Music and Arts Center (PMAC) is a multi-faceted arts school serving all ages and abilities. In addition to individual instruction in music and visual arts, PMAC offers ensembles, classes, summer camps, and community arts outreach programs, along with live music performances and art exhibitions by both students and professionals. PMAC addresses the need for arts education in the greater Seacoast region by providing high quality instruction that compliments the offerings in our local public and private schools. In addition, we meet the needs of students of all ages, regardless of skill level or aspiration. PMAC offers cultural opportunities to all people regardless of their age, ability, or economic status, and continually strives to build community through the arts.
Send cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com with subject line “YCS Conductor”:
attn: Michelle Shoemaker, Director of Education, Portsmouth Music and Arts Center. No phone calls or walk-in inquiries please.